floralphillipses

Saturday, September 17, 2016

youth librarian, and an idea.

Snoopy Storytime at Southeast
Photo by StAugustinePics.com. Thanks!


It goes without saying that I love my job. If you've met me, you know what I do for a living. I'm the Youth Services Librarian at a public library. I serve patrons ages 0-18, plus their families. That's a HUGE age spectrum, which is sometimes challenging. Regardless, I love it.

So, what do I do all day? Well, I certainly don't fulfill the stereotype of a stuffy old librarian shushing children. My department is loud, colorful, and busy. I lead storytimes, sing, perform, locate resources, choose books and related materials for purchase, collect statistics, visit schools, help out at local events, design flyers, take photos, serve on school advisory committees, partner with local businesses, present at conferences, plan and execute programs ranging from early literacy to fitness, to cooking! No two days are exactly alike at my job, which keeps me on my toes and excited.

I'm going to toot my own horn here. I'm good at my job. It feels like it's what I'm meant to do with my life. I love connecting with my community through my library, connecting people with resources and even other people. Becoming a mom made me realize just how lonely it can be as a parent. Having activities like what I offer at my library allows parents to connect with people going through the same issues. It's made a world of difference in my life as a mama to have other parents around me to discuss the joys and difficulties of having a child.

All of this brings me to my idea.

I want to produce a podcast. On my own time and dime. I'm going to combine my early literacy knowledge and storytime skills to create a twenty minute podcast for parents and/or caregivers to listen to and interact with their children. Songs, rhymes, lapsit bounces, and more--bringing a baby storytime right to their device.

From my searching so far, it seems like this doesn't yet exist. There are some storytime podcasts, yes, but those seem to be people just reading stories. Not interactive programs for caregivers and their children.

So, here's my public declaration. Now I've got to stick with it. Anyone have experience putting together a podcast and want to lend a hand? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment