floralphillipses

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Currently.

Tired


Thinking about...

How tired I am. I think the photo above really shows it. By the end of each day, I'm exhausted. Between work, school, wedding-related things (still!), and trying to find a place to live, there's not much time left. Paul and I try to cherish the time we have together, but sometimes it's hard. If we're being honest, I'm not the most patient person. I'm sometimes irrational. I like everything to be thought through and thoroughly planned. As a result, not knowing where we'll be living, where I'll be working, and when Paul will be returning to work is leaving me frazzled. It's been a tough two years, guys. I'm hoping we're on the mend.

Reading...

I'm just glad to have time to read this year. Last year was so crazy with classwork that it left no time at all for pleasure reading.
I just finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett a few days ago. I'd started it a few years ago when I worked at B&N (reading it while working the register on the quiet side of the store), and meant to get back to it eventually. Thanks to my reference librarian's suggestion, I finally finished it! I thoroughly enjoyed it. I liked the changing perspectives and voices. I felt for each character--especially Celia Foote.
I just started an online friend's first book, Pantomime. The author, Laura Lam, is amazing. I'll just add the summary here...

R. H. Ragona’s Circus of Magic is the greatest circus of Ellada. Nestled among the glowing blue Penglass—remnants of a mysterious civilisation long gone—are wonders beyond the wildest imagination. It’s a place where anything seems possible, where if you close your eyes you can believe that the magic and knowledge of the vanished Chimaera is still there. It’s a place where anyone can hide.
Iphigenia Laurus, or Gene, the daughter of a noble family, is uncomfortable in corsets and crinoline, and prefers climbing trees to debutante balls. Micah Grey, a runaway living on the streets, joins the circus as an aerialist’s apprentice and soon becomes the circus’s rising star.
But Gene and Micah have balancing acts of their own to perform, and a secret in their blood that could unlock the mysteries of Ellada


If you haven't already, please give it a shot! The voices in the story are wonderful, and it's got a focus I've never encountered in any other book. I don't want to spoil it for you...read it!

Listening to...

Quite a bit of Lana Del Ray. We first heard her song "Off to the Races" in a Jacksonville Forever 21. She's different, but we love her voice. Her songs have been stuck in Paul's head lately, so that's normally what we've got playing while he cooks. "Blue Jeans" is my favorite so far.
I also have to mention this acoustic version of Lights by Ellie Goulding. Paul and I were talking about breathing and shaping the mouth during singing, and this is a great example. Ellie has amazing control over her voice in this version. We love it!

Working on...

I've got a month left of school, wow! I've been working on finishing up assignments and getting things together for graduation. My last graduation was two years ago already...I can't believe it. The time flew by so quickly. May fourth, I'll be walking across the stage to receive my Master's.
We've been driving around Palm Coast and St. Augustine looking for homes to rent. There are two in particular we're considering...one in Palm Coast that's cheaper, and one in St. Augustine that's in a great location. We'll be looking at the St. Augustine one tomorrow morning.
I'm also working on remembering to think before I speak. Especially with Paul, I let my words fly and end up saying hurtful things that I don't mean. Paul's a darling and understands me, but it's really not fair to him. If I could only learn that things will always work out...

No comments:

Post a Comment