floralphillipses

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Day in the Life of a Library Assistant.

Sometimes I like to document my days. It's a fun way to look back and see what my life was like at different times. I think I first began this in 2009, which doesn't seem too long ago, but a lot has certainly changed since then. I realized that I'd never done a documented day at the library, so here it is!

Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Good morning. I feel blurry, and so my photos seem to follow.
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
It takes me longer than normal to pick something out. Our theme in storytime today is the color orange, and so I need something to match!
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Pack up, make coffee, and grab a light breakfast. I slept in longer than normal, and so I've got to eat on the way to work today. But that's okay, because these are the first honeycrisp apples of the season, hurrah!
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
I rush out of the house, closing the windows on my way. My poor car needs a wash pretty badly.
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
I pass over the bridge, admiring the clouds. It's very overcast today, but still gorgeous. I love my little commute to the library.
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Hello! I arrive at work and uncover our guinea pigs' cage. Everyone says our branch is turning into a zoo now that we have six ducks and two guinea pigs. It's nice, though, because it made me realize that I never want guinea pigs of my own... so much cleaning... At least at the library, the responsibilities are shared.
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Quickly, I write up a to-do list and upload some photos.
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
I set up everything for storytime: background for family storytime (we have a park ranger coming!), parachute for little ones storytime, and carpet squares all around.
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Little ones storytime goes well! We had about thirty kids though, which is a LOT for what is supposed to be a more low-key storytime. We decide that since attendance has ballooned, we're going to split it up into two groups next week.
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Family storytime follows, and is awesome thanks to a special visit from our local park ranger. She reads some stories and helps us as we lead the kids in songs, dances, and other activities.
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Afterward, I interview a local artist who donated some work (pictured above) when our library first opened ten years ago. We're putting together a video for the birthday celebration next week. It's going to be so fun!
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Finally, it's lunchtime. I'm having leftover pasta salad and another honeycrisp apple, with a side of Dearie, a biography of Julia Child. I also text husband about storytime today. You can see the ridiculous Doctor Who knock-knock joke from the night before.
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Looking a little frazzled, but feeling good about work so far.
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Back to work! I add and cross off some items on my to-do list, write some e-mails, and put together a blog post with the photos I uploaded earlier. I wrote the post all in rhyme!
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
At this point, I go to work on the circulation desk, keeping an eye on the kids with the guinea pigs. It's so busy today!
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
I spend the last two hours working on the birthday video with a co-worker, then we close up the library. This is our children's section, with some kites we made for International Peace Day on Saturday.
Banned Books Week
And because I'm proud of it, here's my display for Banned Books Week. I decided to focus on the controversy surrounding Eleanor & Park right now. It's such a good book! I definitely recommend it.
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Shut down the computer and pack everything up...
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
I feel lucky to work in such a beautiful spot. Oh, and there are our library ducks!
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
I drive over the bridge again on the way home, and make sure to get a photo of my little car cat, who has been in all of my documented days.
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Arrive home, and notice someone is watching me... This is one of our kitties, named Socks.
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
I got a package!! It's an advance reader copy that I won online. Sounds interesting.
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Change from work garb to ultra-casual shorts and wrinkled concert shirt. I am so short. Also, the shirt is from the Gentlemen of the Road festival that came to town two weeks ago. It was awesome!
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
We run into a neighbor cat on our way outside. This one is named Taz, and he is very vocal about wanting to be pet.
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Walk down to check the mail, hand in hand. It's just junk, but the little walk outside is nice.
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Socks is waiting on the stairs for us when we come back. Meow!
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Mix the last of the leftover pasta salad with some spinach and get comfy on the couch to read.
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
I spend several hours reading, while Paul does homework. I'm quite proud of him--it's his first semester back after a loooong break from school, and he's doing so well!
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
He takes a break to cuddle our other cat, Lily. I get him some chips and salsa for a snack.
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Spend some time on the phone with my mom, during which Lily comes over and makes herself comfortable.
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
More reading. I like to read. Finally, I realize I'm starving and look for something to make. This sounds good!
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
I set up the ipad in a cabinet to begin cooking, but first...
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Time to feed the beasts, and...
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Paul takes another break by doing the dishes. Yay! It's my least favorite chore. Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
I gather up the ingredients. Rather than used canned tomatoes, I use some of our fresh ones. They'll just have to cook longer.
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
First, I sweat the garlic and red onions in some olive oil with red pepper flakes. This makes the house smell amazing!
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Add the tomatoes... I end up throwing in an additional one just because.
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
After the tomatoes have cooked for a while and begin to break down, I add some green onions and fresh parsley.
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
While that cooks, I get a text from my little brother. He's a dork.
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Toss in the chickpeas and mix them up...
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
And a few minutes later, pour in three cups of vegetable broth. Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
While that cooks, I read through my blog list via Feedly and find out what a euphonium is. Apparently, it's a mini-tuba and plays just like a trombone? My brother wants to play it for concert band.
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
The soup looks good, so I pour it into a large measuring bowl and blend it up. Smells so good!
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Ta-da! Dress it up with fresh spinach, parsley, green onions, a bit of hot sauce, and some freshly-cracked pepper. I don't cook very often, but I do soups pretty well.
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
We eat while watching Adult Swim, since there's nothing on Food Network. Those are the two channels we watch, out of hundreds.
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
After dinner, it's more blogs... I really want to make these cinnamon buns! Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
More book-nerd stuff! This is a great newsletter about the book industry.
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Take out contacts, brush teeth, wash face, and finish up with some (diluted) tea tree oil for my blemishes.
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
Day in the Life of a Library Assistant
I read some more until I am distracted by husband and Lily. She promptly sits on my book (favorite spot), so I take that as a sign to get to sleep. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment