floralphillipses

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

what we're reading wednesday.


Since Paul has gotten into reading lately (YAY!), I figured it would be fun to let you all in on what we're reading from time to time. Here's what we're stuck on this week:



The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shafer and Annie Barrows
I just started this book, and I'm loving it so far. It's an epistolary novel, which is a fancy English Major word for a novel made up of letters or other such documents. Despite the letters being written by several different characters, it is easy to follow and a joy to read. It flows so well, and I found myself drawn in immediately. So far, I've caught on to the book following a British writer on her book tour, and her correspondence with a member of the titled society who lives on a sheltered island.

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Paul is reading this one for his English class, but it fits what he's been stuck on lately... Dystopian novels set in the future. Guy Montag is a fireman in this bleak future, but instead of putting fires out, he sets them. With books. WHAT?! Yeah. He's not too far in yet, but I'll have him write up a little review after he's finished.

Now, we're off to blow our meal plan thanks to a boil-water notice and rust-colored water. See you later!

What are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment